Followers

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Boy at the Keyhole by Stephen Giles

The Boy at the KeyholeThe Boy at the Keyhole by Stephen Giles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Boy at the Keyhole was a fascinating study of two characters and how they can literally drive each other mad. I found myself able to read this a few chapters at a go as there was so much going on in Samuels head that I had to stop. But as I stopped I was compelled to pick it back up and find what happens next. As I was reading I fluctuated back and forth from what I thought may have happened to Samuel's mother to nothing has happened to Samuel's mother. Since I couldn't be sure I don't know how Samuel could be sure.
This story is dark and mean, revolving around two characters - Samuel, a nine year old boy who is left by his mother to live with the housekeeper, Ruth Tupper, while she sails to America to seek financial backing to save their failing company. Ruth runs the household in a stern and cold manner, leaving Samuel yearning for warmth.
Samuel's mother left on her trip in the middle of the night, she never said goodbye. Ruth explains she needed to meet the train early in the morning, to make it for her voyage and they saw no reason to wake Samuel from his sleep. The fact that his mother never said goodbye is the crux of the doubt that surfaces later on, there is no confirmation to Samuel. Samuel can not comprehend how she could be gone so long without any telegrams or phone calls, doesn't she miss him like he her? The only thing he has received are a few postcards. Doubt begins to creep into his mind after his friend puts the idea out there that maybe she didn't travel to America but Ruth killed her.
The psychological drama begins in earnest here. One doesn't really know from page to page if she traveled or if Ruth did her in. It's fascinating to see the way Samuel begins to suspect and doubt and Ruth's cold manner does little to confirm or deny any of Samuel's dark thoughts. Ruth is borderline physically abusive and she is definitely cruel and evil but yet still maintains the home, finances, and sees to Samuel's daily needs.
I loved the book, the dance between the two characters, and found I couldn't put it down yet had to put it down. The ending came on suddenly and then it was over. I would have loved that to last a little longer to savor.
I received an uncorrected proof from the publisher but was under no obligation to post a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment